Artistic Director Search Has Begun! View the job description and help us fill the role.
18 July 2017 by admin
We are no longer accepting applications for this position.
Position: Artistic Director
Department: Artistic Director
Reports to: President, Board of Directors
FLSA Status: Full Time, Exempt
Ballet Idaho currently has an opportunity for an Artistic Director in Boise, Idaho. Position start date is June 1, 2018.
Ballet Idaho and its Academy create, present, teach, and preserve the art form of classical and contemporary ballet, serving Boise, Idaho, and the larger regional multi-state area. Ballet Idaho has been performing since 1972 and currently includes an artistic, administrative and production staff of 17. Our dance company consists of 20 dancers and six pre-professional apprentices. In addition, we offer a professional academy of dance, Ballet Idaho Academy, which is staffed by a professional teaching staff of 15 and trains students in classical and contemporary ballet. Ballet Idaho also provides extensive outreach programs for students in Boise and throughout Idaho.
• The Artistic Director (AD) is responsible for the artistic vision of Ballet Idaho, including production development, season offerings, music, and educational programing. The AD is also responsible for the artistic direction of Ballet Idaho Academy (BIA)
• The Executive Director (ED) is responsible for the financial, administrative, human resource, development, marketing, planning, programming, and legal functions of Ballet Idaho
• The AD and ED both report directly to the President and the Board of Directors of Ballet Idaho
• The AD is fiscally responsible to the Board through the ED and must adhere to the approved operating budget
The AD is responsible for artistic, choreographic, musical, educational, and production functions of Ballet Idaho including: seasonal programming; scheduling and staging of all ballet productions; selection and supervision of ballets, artists, artistic staff and guest choreographers; day to day studio work; dancer training and rehabilitation; personal coaching for all ranks of artists; artistic supervision of BIA educational programs; artistic supervision of educational outreach programs; development and maintenance of the artistic and professional growth of Ballet Idaho; participation in budgetary and short and long-range planning in coordination with the ED and Board of Directors: and fundraising, donor relations, and related activities. The AD assures the highest level of performance excellence, all within parameters of established financial plans and existing contractual and other legal restraints.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty sufficiently. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Provides leadership for the company’s mutually agreed upon vision and development while maintaining a positive work environment and excellent communication; inspires individual growth and provides constructive criticism; maintains a positive and nurturing work environment
• Coordinates with the artistic staff to develop and execute the short and long-range strategies for the `artistic development of Ballet Idaho, involving daily schedules, instructors, choreographers, and other specialists
• Attracts and retains artists of high quality; engages and maintains an effective artistic staff to assist with the development of quality artists and productions
• Works within financial and scheduling constraints to produce and create engaging artistic productions that will appeal to the Ballet Idaho markets
• Maintains and develops Ballet Idaho’s individuality; builds a larger and more diverse audience by performing original works and taking innovative approaches; researches and selects repertory from existing ballets and new ballet projects
• Develops and maintains a season that presents a variety of both classical and contemporary ballets along with an annual version of The Nutcracker
• Manages programming, program order, and musical content; determines casting
• Creates a focused, positive, disciplined, and dynamic work environment. Provides performance reviews for artistic staff and handles the hiring and firing of artistic personnel in consultation with the ED
• Handles all artistic personnel issues in coordination with the ED
• Collaborates with all departments of the organization to provide artistic direction and coordination
• Coordinates with the Boise Philharmonic and other musicians to provide musical accompaniment for performances
• Maintains active and ongoing written and verbal communications with donors, the media, BIA parents/guardians, and the public
• Engages with BIA staff regarding casting, teaching, rehearsing, talent development, and other areas as needed
• Promotes the organization throughout the community, including public speaking and presentations to both large and small audiences and other media activities which may include radio and local TV interviews
• Participates in major gift solicitations, donor cultivation, and grant acquisition in collaboration with the Board of Directors and the ED
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Requires knowledge of:
• All forms of Ballet and contemporary dance
• Strategic and operational planning
• Non-profit arts management
• Budgeting and financial analysis
• Develop positive board relations
Requires skills in:
• Ballet and dance techniques
• Ballet selection and production
• Hiring and management of artists
• Interpersonal relationships, team building, and personnel management
• Office computer software
• Supervision of staff in effective, tactful, and professional manner
• Negotiation for ballets to be performed by the company
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
A combination of education and experience that demonstrate the ability to work with a team and be the artistic leader of Ballet Idaho.
Available to work outside of normal business hours including weekends and holidays.
Submit resume, cover letter, and references to Kathryn Zimmerman, email@example.com